Suhl is an independent city in the Franconian south of the Free State Thuringia. It lies on the southern slope of the Thuringian Forest in the Lauter and Hasel valley. Due to their history as a location for armaments factories, the elected representatives of the city council in Suhl declared the “City of Peace” on February 14, 1991. Nevertheless, due to the long tradition of hunting weapon manufacture according to the city council resolution of 2005, the city calls itself “Gun city of Suhl".
Suhl was one of the centuries Mining dominated city with a Henneberg-Franconian appearance. In 1952 it became the district town of the Suhl district. This was followed by the decision to reshape and enlarge the city. Suhl grew from around 25.000 inhabitants to over 56.000 within a few years. During the renovation process, old buildings in the city center were torn down and replaced by modern architecture characterized by concrete slab construction.