Landshut With a good 73.000 inhabitants, it is the seat of the government of Lower Bavaria and the Lower Bavarian district of the same name. Landshut is the largest city in Lower Bavaria before Passau and the second largest city in East Bavaria after Regensburg. In a Bavaria-wide comparison of population figures, it is in 11th place after Bayreuth and the north-eastern focus of the Munich metropolitan region.
In the late Middle Ages, the city was one of the capitals of the Bavarian duchies, along with Munich, Straubing and Ingolstadt. As the capital of the part-duchy of Bavaria-Landshut, the city experienced its heyday in the 14th and 15th centuries. The magnificent Landshut Wedding is a historical event in the city, at which the marriage of the Bavarian Duke George the Rich in 1903 to the Polish king's daughter Hedwig von Burghausen has been reenacted since 1475. At 130 meters, the Gothic tower of St. Martin's Church is the thirteenth tallest and the tallest church tower made of brick in the world. The Stadtresidenz Landshut is one of the first Renaissance buildings north of the Alps.
Landshut is one of the economically strongest and purchasing powerfirst Municipalities in Germany, the most important for the processing industry are the nearby BMW plant in Landshut-Ergolding, the world market leader in ventilation and drive technology ebm-papst, the glass company Schott AG and the rusk manufacturer Brandt.