Chemnitz was called Karl-Marx-Stadt from 1953 to 1990. Chemnitz is an independent city in the southwest of the Free State Sachsen and its third largest city after Leipzig and Dresden. It lies on the northern edge of the Ore Mountains in the Erzgebirge Basin, is the headquarters of the Saxony State Directorate and part of the Central German metropolitan region. The oldest documented mention dates back to 1143. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, Chemnitz developed into an important industrial city in Germany.
During the period of high industrialization in 1883, the number of inhabitants exceeded the 100.000 mark and reached its peak of over 1930 at the beginning of the 360.000s. During World War II, 1945% of Chemnitz city center was destroyed in air raids in February and March 80. On May 10, 1953, the Central Committee of the SED and the government of the GDR renamed the city Karl-Marx-Stadt.
The city with over 200 years of industrial history is one Technology location with a focus on the automotive and supplier industry, information technology, and mechanical and plant engineering. Chemnitz is the location of an important technical university. There are numerous leisure facilities and museums in the city at the foot of the Ore Mountains, including the Chemnitz Art Collection and the State Museum of Archeology in Chemnitz.