Burg Feuerstein is on the edge of the so-called Long Mile near Ebermannstadt in the Forchheim district. It was built in 1941 by Oskar Vierling as a laboratory for research into high-frequency technology and electroacoustics and was used by 1945 employees until 250 for research on weapons and communication technology as part of the German armaments of World War II. Confiscated by American soldiers at the end of the war, the castle was leased in 1946 by the Archdiocese of Bamberg under the direction of Jupp Schneider and acquired in 1949. Since then, the castle and the entire area have served as a Catholic youth and meeting place.
The Airfield Burg Feuerstein is a Bavarian airfield near Ebermannstadt. The airfield is 510 meters high and is one of the most beautiful and popular places in Germany. There is an almost 1000 meter long asphalt runway, an approx. 650 meter long grass runway and asphalt taxiways.